Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wings to Wal-Mart


Wal-Mart trips with both my children stress me out!! I've begged my family and friends to do whatever it takes to keep me from getting into that nightmarish predicament, but inevitably they fail me! I forget how bad it is. Even when I do remember I fear running out of toilet paper might being even more of a nightmare so, we go...dreading what lies ahead...Little "B" screaming to get out of the shopping cart, Big "B" begging to ride on the shopping cart, both "B's" trying to open the Goldfish bag or worse, the popsicle box, me caving in and letting them and then, of course, the bag spilling all over aisle 9. I swear this happens EVERY time we go. I leave ready to burn down Wal-Mart and beat my kids, but worry those darned security cameras or some nosy, do-gooder is watching. So, I resist the urge like I always do. I know --- if I spanked my kids I probably wouldn't have these problems, but I don't. It is hard to spank my girls. They're really cute, make really sad sad-faces and I feel too guilty afterwards.


Anyway, there was no need for spanking during our most recent visit. There really wasn't even a need to raise my voice at the girls. Before we left for what I expected to be the same, old miserable trip to get groceries, Big "B" asked if she could wear her fairy wings to Wal-Mart. I said, "Sure! Why not!?!" It made me smile. How can fairy wings on a little girl not make you smile? As we walked the aisles of the store, she "flew". She loved having them on and it kept her focussed on something other than harassing her little sister or trying to open packages of food we hadn't paid for. It kept Little "B" entertained, too. I wasn't so stressed. The trip was actually, dare I say, fun! And let's face it...no one really likes being at Wal-Mart, but when all the bitter-looking customers saw Big "B" in those rainbow sparkly wings they stopped and smiled for a moment, too. At least for a couple of hours Wal-Mart was magical.


By the way...from now on those wings are mandatory for our grocery store trips!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when Emily was this age we had multiple pairs of wings in various colors. Enjoy these times!

    ReplyDelete