Friday, July 16, 2010

...one week as just one




I'm the oldest of three daughters. For two and a half years I was an only child. I (jokingly, of course) often call that time "the good ol' days"!! Now, I realize how important my best friends and sisters are to me. I also know that I CANNOT imagine life without them. I'm sure one day Little "B" and Big "B" will feel the same way, but for now being just one, at least every once in awhile, is proving to be a lot of fun for them.

While Big "B" has been away at her grandparents home taking part in Vacation Bible School there, Little "B" has been able to experience, for really the first time, what it's like to be an only child. At 23 months old, I thought she would be missing her big sister A LOT. They play well together and Big "B" is usually the first person she asks for when she wakes up. But, Little "B" is having a blast getting all the attention this week. She hasn't asked for Big "B" one time and when I ask if she wants to go see Big "B" she answers with her quick, little, insistent "No!".

I realized this week how often I rely on them to entertain each other while I do other things. Without Big "B" here I've focused completely on Little "B". We've played a lot, run errands together and she's even joined me in some of the things I normally do while she's busy with Big "B". (Like read a trashy tabloid! - I know it's terrible. I tried to read Elmo Enjoys Summer, but she preferred OK! magazine...I swear!)

Anyway, it has been so much fun to connect with her individually. She is learning new words daily, developing her own personality and during this week she's loved on me and given me more of her sweet kisses than ever before. She's also been better behaved. It has been a reminder of how much one-on-one time each child needs. I have missed "Big" B terribly, but I am grateful for such a special time with my baby.

Siblings are such a blessing...it's something, though, that obviously takes time to realize. I'll bet in 25 years or so she'll be sitting at her own home (probably reading a trashy tabloid) wishing her sister was there beside her so they could talk about all that Hollywood gossip together! I know it's something I wish daily...

No comments:

Post a Comment